Hands-On: Basic Network Testing
Initial Test Shows Loss and/or Latency
Step 1 – Background Devices
- Skip this step if not applicable. Ensure that there are no background devices connected to the internet (another PC, gaming consoles like Xbox, Wii or PlayStation). If there are, for the purposes of troubleshooting, disconnect/turn off all other connected devices and then perform another ping test.
- If the re-test shows improvement, return to your work.
- If the re-test shows no improvement, continue with the below steps.
Step 2 – Power-cycle
VoIP/Digital Cable Phone Service
Note: If you have Cable Phone service (an allowable type of VoIP, then your call with them will disconnect after doing the cycle. If this is the case, give the instructions to your caller and perform the steps on your own and then call back when the steps are completed.
- Turn off Computer, modem & Router (if any).
- Wait for about 20 – 30 seconds then turn on the modem first.
- Wait for about 20 – 30 seconds (to make sure that the lights on the modem are completely on) then turn on the Router (if any).
- Wait for about 20 – 30 seconds (to make sure that the lights on the Router are completely on) then turn on the computer.
- If the test is better, log-in to WorkBooth and back to work.
Another Basic Network Testing
| Ping Testing |Click on this document
| Ping Testing |