To prevent your system from getting a vulnerability such as WannaCry, you will need to have the latest MS security patches installed. The cumulative patch to prevent this vulnerability are bundled in the latest round of MS security cumulative patch update for May. These are as follows:
Win 8 = KB4019215
A. Enforcing via ESOD
We will be scanning users’ systems to see if they have these updates or not. If they do not have the updates we will be advising users to run the MS updates, were they should get one of the above patches.
This is what users will see if they do not have the updates installed:
The link will send users to the WorkBooth.info page to walk them through how to run their MS updates:
The scan looks at the following locations within the registry to determine if the patch is installed or not:
Windows 8.1 (x86)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB4019215_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~184.108.40.206
Windows 8.1 (x64)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB4019215_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~220.127.116.11
B. Downloading and Installing Updates Manually
If users do still do not get the update after they run MS updates, and continue to get stopped in the scan, we will have to download and install the updates manually, by following the below:
- Enter in the search the appropriate KB number for the users Operating System
Win 8 = KB4019215
Download the appropriate patch for the version of Windows the users have, 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64).
Windows 8.1: KB4019215 Download
- 32bit (x86) – 2017-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x86-based Systems (KB4019215)
- 64bit (x64) – 2017-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4019215)
Note: in the title, you will see x86 for 32bit and x64 for 64bit.
- Click Download on the appropriate Patch for the users’ OS to download and run the patch in a separate window.
- Some users may have the option to Add, instead of Download. Click Add then click View basket to download and install.
C. Determine OS version
To determine if the OS is 64 bit or 32 bit, follow the below:
For Windows 8.1
- Go to Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel.
- Click on System.
- Look under ‘System Type’. If there is nothing listed indicating ‘x64 edition version’ or ’64-bit Operating System’ then you have a 32-bit Windows installation.